Consider a system such as shown in the following schematic. This is a basic or most common system where pumps are used for fluid transportation.
This page provides a basic calculation tool for sizing of pumps for a system such as given in the schematic.
For the schematic given above,
This pump sizer tool will output the shaft power and motor power requirement for your given service, flow rate and differential head required across the pump.
Tutorials and references
- Tutorial for using the pump sizing calculator
- Net positive suction head - NPSH definition
- Difference between NPSHr (required) and NPSHa (available)
- Here is an NPSH calculation tutorial that makes extensive use of the EnggCyclopedia calculators for quick calculations.
- Pipe pressure drop calculation tutorial